Medieval Musings

All things pertaining to history.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bishop Aethelgar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melisende
Admin

PostSubject: Bishop Aethelgar   Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Aethelgar
(d.990)

Aethelgar began his ecclesiastical career as a monk at Glastonbury and Abingdon (964).

Abbot of Newminster (964) - the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records the event as thus:
This year drove King Edgar the priests of Winchester out of the old minster, and also out of the new minster; and from Chertsey; and from Milton; and replaced them with monks. And he appointed Ethelgar abbot to the new minster, and Ordbert to Chertsey, and Cyneward to Milton.

Bishop of Selsey - the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records the event as thus:
In this year was Ethelgar consecrated bishop, on the sixth day before the nones of May, to the bishopric of Selsey.

Archbishop of Canterbury (988-990) - the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records the event as thus:
... ... and Dunstan, the holy archbishop, departed this life, and sought a heavenly one. Bishop Ethelgar succeeded him in the archbishopric; but he lived only a little while after, namely, one year and three months.

Bishop Aethelgar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1