Medieval Musings

All things pertaining to history.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Gilbert of Lisieux

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melisende
Admin

PostSubject: Gilbert of Lisieux   Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Gilbert of Lisieux
Gilbert (surnamed Maninot or Naminot)

Bishop of Lisieux (1077-1101); Doctor of King William I of England.

It was Gilbert who was sent to seek Pope Alexander II's blessing for William's plan to invade England and oust Harold Godwinsson (1066). Apparently, without considering the other side of the arguement, Pope Alexander (a former student under Lanfranc), granted his blessing to the invasion of England. In addition, he gave Gilbert a banner to be carried into battle, and according to Wace, a tooth of St. Peter.

At the time of the Domesday Survey (1086), Gilbert had holdings in Yorkshire, and church holdings in Dorset, Hertfordshire, Gloucestershire, Oxforshire, and Wiltshire.

It was reputed that not only was Gilbert Chaplain and Physician to King William I of England, but that he was also a keen astrologer.(*)

(*) L. Thorndike "History of Magic and Experimental Science" (Pub: Columbia University Press. NY 1958)

Gilbert of Lisieux
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1