Medieval Musings

All things pertaining to history.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

City of Gaza

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melisende
Admin

PostSubject: City of Gaza   Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Crusader Cities

Gaza:
Templar town and castle which had been granted to the Order (1149-1150) and constructed to increase the pressure on Ascalon. Egyptians failed in attempt to seize city (1150). Functional base from which the Order exercised control over the southern parts of the Kingdom.

Given to Saladin September 1188) by Templars in exchange for the captured Grand Master of the Templars, Gerard de Ridefort - it was a heavy price to pay. Briefly restored to Templars by Richard I (1192) but under Richard’s treaty with Saladin, defences demolished (September 1192).Held by Egyptians (1230s) - and following the defeat of the Franks by the Egyptians near Gaza (1239), Christian prisoners were held here (September 1240).

Crusader church - now Jamaa al-Akbar (Great Mosque).

City of Gaza
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1