Medieval Musings

All things pertaining to history.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

James Butler

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melisende
Admin

PostSubject: James Butler   Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:30 pm

James Butler
12th Earl of Ormond and 1st Duke of Ormond

Sir James was a member of the ruling family in Southern Ireland. He was educated at Lambeth and became the first actual Protestant of the Butler family. It was claimed he only became a Protestant for political reasons - he was, at the time, a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I of England.

Having survived the reigns of both Elizabeth I and James I of England, James became friendly and popular with the next reigning monarch of England, Charles I. However, he was not appointed Deputy of Ireland (1641) as he fully expected to be but was, the following year, appointed by Charles I as his Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Marquis, and head of the Protestant Royalists in Ireland. Three years later James was appointed King's Messenger to Ireland (1645) - seeking support and peace in a time of great turmoil.

When the army of the Parliamentarians made their way to Ireland, James was in Dublin and was forced to surrender - he left the city without offering resistance (December 1646).

James remained a loyal supporter of the English Monarchy - he witnessed the death of Charles I (January 1650) and the coronation of King Charles II in Dublin (May 1660). Again, under Charles II, James was appointed Lord Lieutenant, and he was created Duke. For a man of mixed religious heritages, James himself was not opposed to the toleration of religious differences in Ireland.

James returned to Ireland as Lord Lieutenant (1677) - however, he was directed to banish the clergy and disarm all Catholics. Although a Protestant himself, he was sympathetic to the Catholics and deferred any action. However, with or without him, the persecution of Catholics in Ireland continued.

James was still around at the death of Charles II (1685) and the succession of Charles' brother as James II.

James Butler
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1